Beef and Cabbage TurnoversFrom smurfetta 6 years ago
- Pastry shopping list
- 1 package active dry yeast shopping list
- 1 cup warm water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups flour shopping list
- Filling shopping list
- 1 pound ground beef shopping list
- 4 cups shredded cabbage shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional) shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sugar, oil, salt, egg and 1 cup of the flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make the dough soft but easy to handle. Turn onto well-floured surface; knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- Cook and stir beef until light brown. Stir in cabbage, onion, water, salt, caraway seed and pepper. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Roll into a 16-inch square and cut into 1 inch squares. Place about 1/4 cup filling onto the center of each square, bring corners up and together, then pinch to seal. Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet. Shape into rounds. Let rise again until double, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until pastry is light brown, about 20-25 minutes. Brush tops with butter. If desired, wrap individually and freeze.
- If turnovers are prepared ahead and frozen, they should be covered and reheated at 350° for about 20-30 minutes.