Christmas Eve Mushroom SoupFrom pleclare 4 years ago
- 1 handful dried mushrooms(porcini,shitake,etc.-whatever you like and can find) soaked in enough water to cover until soft shopping list
- 1 lb. fresh button mushrooms,thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic,finely chopped shopping list
- 1/2 c butter shopping list
- 3/4 c flour shopping list
- 1-1/2 c milk shopping list
- 4 c sour cream shopping list
- 3 Tbs white vinegar shopping list
- 2 Tbs sugar shopping list
- 2 c water shopping list
- 1-2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1-2 tsp. fresh ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Drain dried mushrooms,reserving soaking water in measuring cup so you know how much you have. Coarsely chop the dried mushrooms. Pour soaking liquid in a large pot,and add enough water to equal 2 qts. altogether. Add to the pot,dried mushrooms,fresh mushrooms and garlic and cook till mushrooms are soft. Reduce heat to simmer.
- While mushrooms are simmering,melt butter in med. saucepan. Add flour and stir till mixture is golden. Drizzle water into flour mixture,stirring constantly until thickened and smooth. Add this mixture to simmering mushrooms Stir well and continue simmer,stirring often every so often. Cook on low for 1 hour.
- In small bowl,combine milk and sour cream and mix till smooth. Turn the heat off,let soup cool down a bit if it was bubbling,then slowly stir sour cream mixture into soup. Add approximately 3 Tbs. of white vinegar(more or less,to taste)and then season soup with sugar,salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve or keep warm on very low heat.
- Note: Some of the sour cream mixture will break into tiny bits if the soup is really hot when it is added. This doesn't affect the flavor which is delicious. Sometimes this will happen anyway,no matter how careful,so don't worry,just enjoy the soup!
The Cookpleclare Framingham, MA
The Rating6 people
HI! Hope you had a Wonderful Thansgiving:) This soup sounds delish! Perfect cos' I love shrooms:) HIGH FIVE FORKS!!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
A lady who is thinking ahead! Lovely recipe. My favorite mushrooms are porcinis and chanterelles.joe1155 in Munchen loved it
Yummy!!!goodeat in Benton loved it
Comfort Foods769 members
Soup Is Good Food562 members
Christmas All Year181 members
Countdown To Christmas79 members
Soup Is Good Food59 members
Soups And Stews106 members
Christmas Recipes Made Easy30 members
Christmas Is Coming55 members
Fungus Amoung Us35 members