Choose to showcase one of Ontarios own apples in this succulent roast of porkFrom chef2 6 years ago
- roast pork Stuffed with chestnuts and apple shopping list
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter shopping list
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion, finely diced shopping list
- 1 apple, cored and finely diced shopping list
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh ginger, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- ½ tsp (2 mL) whole fennel seeds shopping list
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cardamom shopping list
- 1 cup (250 mL) roasted and peeled shopping list
- chestnuts, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh sage, finely chopped shopping list
- ¼ cup (50 mL) water salt and white pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 lb (1 kg) centre-cut pork loin, trimmed of all fat and tendon shopping list
- Kitchen twine to secure roast shopping list
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil shopping list
- 1 cup (250 mL) apple cider shopping list
- ½ cup (125 mL) 35% cream shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 10 minutes. Add apple, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, cardamom, chestnuts, sage and water. Cook for 7 minutes longer, or until onions are translucent and all liquid has been reduced. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
- With a sharp knife, butterfly the loin by making a slit lengthwise through the middle of the loin, opening it like a book. Make sure not to slice all the way through the meat.
- Generously season the pork with salt and pepper; spread the apple mixture on the right half of the loin. Fold over the left half and secure the roast with kitchen twine, making sure to replace any filling that has fallen out. Season again on the outside.
- Heat the oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully add the pork and brown well on all sides, about 20 minutes total. Place the skillet and pork in the oven and continue to cook until the internal temperature reads
- 160°F (70°C).
- Remove pork from pan, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat add apple cider and cook for 2 minutes, scraping up the browned bits on pan. Add cream and cook another minute longer, or until sauce is desired thickness. Season to taste.
- Untie the roast, slice and serve with sauce.
The Cookchef2 Las Vegas, NV
The Rating2 people
Picture pefect some recipe thanks bunches high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it