Fried Black-eyed PeasFrom notyourmomma 7 years ago
How to make it
- Soak the peas over night in 3 quarts of very hot water.
- Next day, slip the skins off the peas and pat dry. *You can leave the skins on, but it makes for a coarser dish.*
- Place the skinned peas in the food processor bowl, with garlic, jalapeno pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Process until the peas are ground and will hold together.
- Spoon out a tablespoon of the pea mixture and make a thin patty about one inch in diameter.
- Repeat until the pea mixture is used up.
- Heat the peanut oil and fry the patties in a skillet over meidum heat in batches on both sides until they are brown about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Unused pea mixture keeps in the refrigerator tightly covered indefinitely. Never lasts that long. (Be sure to use fresh ground pepper, it makes a difference)