My Favorite Pie CrustFrom sosousme 5 years ago
- 1 1//4 cups unbleached all purpose flour , divided shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (if you use kosher, like I do, use a generous 1/2 teaspoon) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sugar shopping list
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (3/4 stick) cut into cubes shopping list
- 1/4 cup cold shortening (I use Earth Balance, an all natural shortening I get at Whole Foods, which contains no trans fats) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cold vodka shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cold water or as needed shopping list
How to make it
- In a food processor, process 3/4 cup of the flour along with the salt and sugar until combined. Add the butter and shortening and process until a homogenous dough collects in uneven clumps; about 10 seconds. The dough will resemble cottage cheese, some of the butter and shortening might show, but all the flour should be coated. Scrape the bowl with a spatula to redistribute the dough. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour and pulse until the mixture is evenly distributed around the bowl, about 4 - 6 quick pulses. Empty into a bowl.
- Sprinkle the vodka and water over the mixture. With a rubber spatula, use a folding motion to mix, pressing down on the dough until it becomes slightly tacky and sticks together. Flatten the dough into a 4-inch disk; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Adjust the oven rack to the lowest position and heat to 400 degrees. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a generously floured board to a 12 inch circle about 1/8 inch thick. Fold into quarters, or roll loosely onto the rolling pin (whichever way works best for you) and unroll (or unfold) into the pie pan. Working around the outside, using one hand to lift the dough while the other hand presses it gently into the pan, ease the dough into the pan, pressing well to the bottom and sides. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Cut the overhang to 1/2 inch around, then press it under; the folded edge should be flush with the edge of the pan. Using a thumb and forefinger , flute the edge. Place in freezer 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and line the crust with foil and fill with pie weights or beans. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the foil and bake 5 minutes more or until lightly browned. Continue with your recipe.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
The Rating4 people
Now, my new friend, I am going to have to give this a try. Who could resist. Vodka - who knew.
Merry Christmas, dear, to you and your family.tablescape in loved it
Thank you for your recipe! Happy Holidays to you and yours!
annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!