Emerils Rolled BaklavaFrom midgelet 4 years ago
- Syrup: shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups local honey shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 2 lemons shopping list
- Filling: 1 1/2 pounds mixed shelled pecans, cashews, and pistachios shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups unsalted butter (3 1/2 sticks) shopping list
- 18 sheets phyllo dough (about 1 pound), thawed shopping list
How to make it
- To make the syrup:
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the honey, water, sugar, and cinnamon stick.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest of the lemons in large pieces and add to the syrup mixture.
- Squeeze the lemons, discard the seeds, and add the juice to the syrup.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove and discard the cinnamon and lemon zest.
- To make the filling:
- In a food processor, combine the nuts, cinnamon, allspice, salt and half of the syrup.
- Pulse until finely chopped (don't over chop!).
- Transfer the nut mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- For clarified butter:
- In a medium saucepan, completely melt the butter over medium heat.
- Set aside for 5 minutes, then skim the white foam from the surface of the butter and discard.
- Pour the clear butter into a small bowl, stopping before the watery liquid on the bottom pours in.
- Discard the watery butter in the bottom of the pan.
- To assemble the baklava:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in a 10 by 14-inch baking dish. (The edges of the parchment should come half way up the sides of the dish.)
- Unroll the Phyllo onto the work surface, and place the stack off to 1 side.
- Lift 1 sheet and lay it on the workspace, lengthwise, and parallel to the edge of the counter.
- Brush the sheet with some of the butter.
- Lay another sheet on top, and brush with butter; repeat with 1 more sheet, for a total of 3 sheets.
- Mound 1/6 of the nut mixture, lengthwise, about 1-inch from the bottom edge and ends.
- Roll the bottom edge of Phyllo over the nut mixture, fold in the sides to seal the log, and continue rolling until completely closed.
- Place the Phyllo roll seam side-down in the baking dish.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 6 rolls in all, arranging them in snug rows.
- Brush the top of the rolls lightly with butter.
- Using a paring knife, lightly score the rolls, crosswise, at 3-inch intervals.
- Bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- Rewarm the syrup over medium heat.
- Cut through the scored lines of the pastry and pour the syrup over the warm pastry.
- Set aside to cool for 1 hr
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating4 people
awome cookies luv blavakamomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Good!!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
I'LL HAVE TO TRY THIS! WE LOVE BAKLAVA! THANKS FOR THE SHARE!juels in Clayton loved it
Sweet Tooth446 members
Cookies And Sweets451 members
Sweet Suite158 members
From Middle Eastern Lands252 members
The Holiday Dessert Table123 members
Made With Phyllo50 members
Nuts And More Nuts52 members
Anything With NUTs42 members
101 All About Honey44 members