Las Camelias Cornish Game HensFrom sosousme 4 years ago
- 2 Cornish game hens shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 1/2 cup tequila shopping list
- 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 ounce fresh ginger, grated shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper shopping list
- Sauce shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, or extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro shopping list
- 2 pickled jalapenos, seeded and sliced shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- In a bowl large enough to hold the hens, combine the water, tequila, garlic, ginger, onion, salt and pepper.
- Wash the hens and put them in the marinade, making sure to get some inside the chest cavity. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 or up to 24 hours.
- Remove the hens from the marinade; scraping off the onion mixture. Strain the marinade and reserve for the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the hens on a rack in a low sided baking pan or broiler pan, salt and pepper them, then roast them 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow them to rest for 30 minutes.
- While the hens are resting - make the sauce. Melt the butter (or heat the oil) in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the tomatoes and simmer 6 - 8 minutes. Add the cilantro and jalapenos and stir 1 minute. Add the reserved marinade, turn up the heat and bring to a vigorous boil; reduce the heat and simmer at least 30 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Add any pan juices accumulated from the resting hens and continue to reduce. Add some cornstarch mixed with water to thicken, if desired. Keep the sauce warm.
- When ready to serve, heat some olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Cut the hens into halves; put them skin side down to sear, turn the hens several times to evenly brown and crisp the skin, about 5 minutes total.
- Serve the hens with the sauce.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!