Philly Cheese Steak PieFrom juels 6 years ago
- For the filling: shopping list
- 3 tbsp. oil shopping list
- 3 poblano, or green bell peppers, seeded and julienned shopping list
- 3 colored sweet bell peppers (orange, red or yellow), seeded and julienned shopping list
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, or portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 4 roma tomatoes, shredded through the cheese grader, skins discarded shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp. steak rub or seasoning shopping list
- 14 oz (396 gr.) shaved steak (like Philly steak or thinly sliced beef sirloin) shopping list
- 10 oz deli style roast beef shopping list
- 2 cups shredded cheese (like Mozzarella or Muenster) shopping list
- 2 beaten eggs + 1 more for glazing shopping list
- For the Crust: shopping list
- 4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 10 tbsp. shortening shopping list
- 2/3 cup milk shopping list
How to make it
- First make the filling: In a skillet, sautee the peppers, mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded tomatoes, salt, pepper and steak seasoning. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the shaved steak, roast beef and cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the crust: Put the flour into a large bowl with the salt. Heat the shortening in a small pan with the milk until just beginning to boil. Set aside and leave to cool slightly.
- Using a spoon, stir the liquid into the flour until a stiff dough forms. Turn on to a work surface and knead until smooth. Cut 1/3 off the dough for the lid, wrap it in clear film (plastic wrap), and keep it in a warm place.
- Roll out the large piece of dough on a floured surface. Place the rolled dough into the well-greased 9-inch round springform pan. Press down the bottom and sides of the pan to distribute the dough evenly. Note*: work the dough while it is warm, it may crack if left to get cold.
- Stir the 2 beaten eggs into the cooled beef filling. Place the filling inside the crust.
- Roll out the rest of the dough and cover the filling, trimming any axcess and sealing the edges with the last beaten egg.
- Make a steam hole, or slits in the lid and decorate with pastry trimmings (optional). Brush with beaten egg.
- Stand the springform pan on a baking tray to catch any juices that may seep from the pie during baking. Bake at 395F for 35 minutes, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes more.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookjuels Clayton, NC
The Rating4 people
Hey Juels, this sounds wonderful and a must try, printing it out right now, will try it this week. You know I never mind time consuming, ans log as it is worth it, and knowing it is from you, it will be. Thanks sweetie...:)gagagrits in Irmo loved it
Wow! This looks and sounds amazing! The poblano peppers seem like a really nice touch. I hope my version turns out as beautifully as yours!misslizzi in Philadelphia loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!