Morning Applesauce LoafFrom karlyn255 7 years ago
- 1 c shortening shopping list
- 1 1/2 c brown sugar, firmly packed shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour, sifted shopping list
- 1 ts baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 ts baking soda shopping list
- 1 1/2 ts salt shopping list
- 2 ts cinnamon shopping list
- 3/4 ts cloves shopping list
- 3/4 ts nutmeg shopping list
- 2 c canned applesauce, sweetened shopping list
- 1 1/2 c oats, uncooked (quick or old-fashioned) shopping list
- 1 c raisins shopping list
- 1 c pitted dates -- cut in small pieces shopping list
- 1 c coarsely chopped nuts shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Beat shortening and sugar together
- until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together 2 cups of the flour, baking powder,soda, salt and spices.
- Add alternately with applesauce to creamed mixture; blend well.
- Stir in oats.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup flour with raisins, dates, and nuts; stir to coat fruits and nuts evenly with flour.
- Stir into batter.
- Pour into 2 greased and waxed paper-lined 8-1/2" x 4-1/2" x 2-1/2" loaf pans.
- Set a pan of hot water in the bottom of oven before adding loaves.
- Bake loaves for 2 hours. Loosen edges; cool on wire rack about
- 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool thoroughly.
- Wrap cooled bread in plastic and store one day before slicing.
- Yield: 2 loaves
The Cookkarlyn255 Ypsilanti, MI
The Rating6 people
Mmm. Sounds so good. A nice treat for an early morning on a busy day. Thanks.tablescape in loved it
Very similar to an applesauce cake I once made, sans the pan of water. The flavors really develope after a day or two. ^5fishtrippin in Estelline loved it