Ab-duck-tion From The Seraglio - Lasciviously Roasted Duckling With Cashlewd PilafFrom alisdhair 5 years ago
- 2 young naïve ducklings shopping list
- ---BRINE--- shopping list
- 2 gallons of water shopping list
- 1 cup of brown sugar shopping list
- 1 cup of kosher salt shopping list
- 3 oz. of fresh ginger (grated) shopping list
- 2 lemons (thinly sliced) shopping list
- 4 bay leaves shopping list
- 10 whole cloves shopping list
- 3 tbls. of black peppercorns shopping list
- ---GLAZE--- shopping list
- 1 cup of pomegranate syrup shopping list
- 1 cup of orange juice (fresh) shopping list
- 1 cup of sweet port shopping list
- 2 tbls. of fresh finely chopped ginger shopping list
- 3 tbls. of fresh minced garlic shopping list
- Half a tsp of cinnamon shopping list
- Half a tsp of Turkish red pepper shopping list
How to make it
- BRINE: Bring the water to a boil and reduce the heat immediately to a moderate simmer. Dissolve both the sugar and salt into it. Add all the other ingredients to it EXCEPT for the ginger and lemon. Cook 10 minutes. Now put the ginger and lemon in and let it cool.
- This should be enough to cover the duck completely. Put them into a suitably sized and shaped vessel to accomplish this and let them set so for 18-24 hours.
- FOR THE DUCK: Upon withdrawing the ducks from the brine, drain them well and pat them dry to remove the brine, but under no circumstance (unless they should fall on the floor) rinse them again. Brush them with some clarified butter.
- Roast them in a very hot oven (450) for 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 325 and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Copiously brush the duck with glaze (use 2/3 of it) and continue to cook for 30 more minutes. Hit them with the glaze again and raise heat once more to 450 - Cook 15 final minutes.
- FOR THE GLAZE: Put the syrup, orange juice and wine into a saucepan and season it with the cinnamon and pepper. Slowly reduce it by a third. Finish with the garlic and ginger.
- SERVE with roasted sweet potatoes, carrots and zucchini which can be likewise glazed and seasoned, adding some raisons or currants if desired. In particular with some Cashew Pilaf (see Recipe). Make the rice with duck stock preferably or else chicken stock.