Japanese Rare Roast Beef Salad With Mixed RadishesFrom mystic_river1 5 years ago
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 2 beef fillet steaks, each 2in thick shopping list
- 1in piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and grated shopping list
- 2 tbsp Japanese soy sauce shopping list
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 tsp wasabi (Japanese horseradish) paste, available from supermarkets and oriental shops shopping list
- 1 bunch of watercress, trimmed shopping list
- 8 cherry tomatoes shopping list
- 2in piece white daikon radish (or 8 normal radishes), peeled and sliced into thin matchsticks shopping list
- 8 red radishes, quartered shopping list
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- black and white sesame seeds shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until it's really hot.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper and sear them for 20 seconds on each side – the meat should be fairly dark on the outside and still really rare in the middle.
- Remove from the pan and leave to rest for 1 hour in the freezer until the meat firms up and is almost frozen (a restaurant trick that will make it easier to slice).
- Mix the ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and wasabi paste in a small bowl.
- When you're ready to serve, remove the beef from the freezer and slice thinly, aiming to cut 12 slices from each steak. (You can sneak the end bits as
- a chef's perk.)
- Lay 6 slices, overlapping each other, on each plate. Top with the watercress, tomatoes, a sprinkling of daikon radish, the red radishes and spring onion, and pour over the soy and wasabi sauce.
- Finally, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
People Who Like This Dish 5
The Cookmystic_river1 Bradenton, Florida
The Rating10 people
Wow this is so delicious sounding and looking.
Edspinach1948 in Dorchester-Boston loved it
Yes this is a 10 like Ed said.
% forks from me.
Artabbott41 in Boston loved it