Lemon And Almond Sponge Cake With Sugar Frosted RosesFrom turtle66 3 years ago
- The flowers need to made in advance as they need a few hours to dry. shopping list
- What’s needed- shopping list
- For The sugar frosted Flowers- shopping list
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 C of caster sugar shopping list
- 6 roses ( make sure that they haven’t been sprayed with pesticides) with 2-3 inch stalks , washed and dried with a kitchen towel. shopping list
- For The lemon And Almond Sponge- shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 1/2 C of whole wheat flour (atta) shopping list
- Grated zest of 2 lemons shopping list
- 1/4 C +1 tblsp of ground almonds shopping list
- 3/4 C of icing sugar shopping list
- For Filling The Cake- shopping list
- 250 gms of mascarpone cheese, whisked with 3 tblsp of lemon juice,3 tblsp of icing sugar, and grated zest of 1 lemon. shopping list
How to make it
- The sugar frosted flowers
- Beat the egg white lightly.
- With a paintbrush, brush the petals with a little of the egg white, making sure to reach inside the petals and on the stalks too.
- Sprinkle some caster sugar over the rose and into the grooves. Shake off excess sugar and leave it to dry for at least 2 hours. I covered a plate with foil and let the roses dry on them. Repeat for the rest of the roses.
- I also sugar frosted a few rose leaves in the same way (although, I believe they can be eaten too, I added the leaves, more for the aesthetics than for the eating).
- Other edible flowers can also be sugar frosted in this same way.
- The lemon and almond sponge-
- Pre heat the oven at 180 deg C and line an 8 inch round pan with foil.
- Place the flour, ground almonds and lemon zest in a bowl. With the fingertips, rub the mixture till everything is well mixed together.
- Beat together the eggs and the icing sugar for about 5 minutes or till fluffy and pale.
- In batches, add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and fold in, preferable with a rubber spatula, till everything is just moistened.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared pan. Lightly tap the pan against the counter to get rid of air bubbles.
- Place the pan in the centre of the pre heated oven ad bake for about 25-27 minutes or till the top is golden and the middle is springy to the touch.
- Cool the cake in the pan for a minute and peeling off the foil, transfer to a rack to cool completely before filling and topping.
- Filling and topping-
- When cooled completely, slice the cake horizontally into two portions.
- Spread the filling on one half of the cake and place the other half on top.
- Arrange the sugar frosted flowers and leaves on top.
The Cookturtle66 Sacramento, CA
The Rating4 people
Pretty!jett2whit in Union City loved it
thank you for posting this recipe..the roses are beautiful...five forkspeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it
beautifulprincessthunder in Greer loved it
Sweet Tooth446 members
Vegetarian Food Lover423 members
Seasonally Summer70 members
Unusual Combinations82 members
Anything Goes286 members
FROM SCRATCH145 members
Friends In The Kitchen312 members
Lemon Lovers165 members
Sugar N Spice N Everything Nice76 members
Delicious Foods39 members