Cracked Wheat French BreadFrom trackwidow 6 years ago
- 2 cups water (110-120 degrees) shopping list
- 1 T dry yeast shopping list
- 1 T sugar shopping list
- 1 T salt shopping list
- 1/4 c olive oil shopping list
- 1 c cracked wheat cereal (uncooked) shopping list
- 1 c whole wheat flour shopping list
- 4 c (approx) all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten shopping list
- sesame seeds shopping list
How to make it
- Place water in bowl of heavy duty stand mixer, sprinkle yeast over top and add the sugar. Let stand about 5 minutes to proof.
- Add cracked wheat, whole wheat flour, salt and olive oil. Using dough hook, mix well.
- Add all purpose flour. The amount you add is subjective, depending on your flour and the humidity levels at the time. You know you have the right amount of flour when the dough clings to the dough hook and doesn't leave any dough on the sides of the bowl. Knead on low to medium speed (I used 2 on my mixer) until dough is smooth and elastic. About 5 minutes.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and oil the top of the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise til double. About 45-60 minutes.
- When doubled, punch down and return to mixer bowl and knead again for about 5 minutes.
- Place dough back in oiled bowl and let rise again til doubled.
- When doubled, punch down and turn out on to board or counter. Let rest a few minutes. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into long loaf, about 12-15 inches long. Place on baking stone or greased baking sheet. Slash the tops diagonally in 3-4 places. Brush tops with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place in cold oven and turn oven on to 375. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when turned over and tapped.
People Who Like This Dish 23
The Cooktrackwidow Fort Atkinson, WI
The Rating6 people
hmm i love this bread, sound like your recipe book same like mine not written down just in the head, nice to meet you, thanks for the add, glad to be your cooking buddykitchen_fantasy in Bluffton loved it
This is amazing, thanks for the post!organicmama in loved it
Love homemade bread & can't wait to try this. Thanks for a great 5 forks recipebrianna in loved it