Sausage-Stuffed Red Sweet PeppersFrom thepoint 5 years ago
- 6 large firm unblemished sweet red peppers shopping list
- 1 pound hot (or sweet or mixed) Italian sausages shopping list
- 2 cups finely chopped onion shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced shopping list
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh mushrooms, cut into tiny cubes or chopped (about 3 1/2 c.) shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley shopping list
- 2 cups fine fresh bread crumbs shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce shopping list
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Split the peppers in halves lengthwise.
- Remove and discard the seeds. Cut away and discard the white veins inside the pepper halves. Remove the meat from the sausage skins. Discard the skins. Add the sausage meat to a skillet. Do not add any more fat. Cook, stirring and cutting down with the side of a heavy kitchen spoon to break up any lumps in the meat.
- When cooked through, add the onion and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes and add the mushrooms. Cook about 2 minutes and spoon the mixture into a mixing bowl. Let cool slightly. Add the parsley, bread crumbs, eggs, salt and pepper to taste. Blend well. Spoon equal portions of mixture into the pepper halves. Smooth over.
- Arrange pepper halves in a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Spoon 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on top of each half. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until piping hot throughout and nicely browned.
- Yield: 6-12 servings.
- Prepared on June 24, 2004 by Art