Chicken in White WineFrom shandy 7 years ago
- 1 3.5 - 4 pound whole chicken, washed, patted dry and cut into portions (or I will use chicken thighs and legs instead) shopping list
- 4 shallots, peeled and diced shopping list
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, washed, dried, and sliced shopping list
- 6 T. unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 bottle dry white wine, preferably Columbia Winery Chardonnay shopping list
- 1 t. French mustard shopping list
- 1 Garni Bouquet (1 bay leaf/1 sprig thyme, 2 sprigs rosemary/8 sprigs parsley) shopping list
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 1/4 c. heavy cream shopping list
- 4 slices bacon, cut into matchsticks shopping list
- 2 T. cognac shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic shopping list
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped shopping list
- 1 bunch chives, chopped shopping list
- 4 pinches freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1 t. sugar shopping list
- 1 c. flour, for dredging shopping list
How to make it
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour, shaking off excess. Heat the butter in a 5 quart pot. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside, saving the grease. If oil is needed, add EVOO. Add shallots, cook until translucent, then add mushrooms and cook until soft; add some white wine and cook 1 minute, remove mushrooms and set aside. In the same pan, cook the chicken pieces on all sides until golden but not brown, Moisten with 3 - 4 tablespoons white wine. When evaporated, add another 3 - 4 tablespoons of white wine. Continue cooking in this manner, over simmering heat, for 40 minutes, turning chicken as needed. If necessary, add warm chicken stock to keep moist.
- After 40 minutes, sprinkle with cognac, ignite and shake the pot gently until flames subside. Remove the chicken. Pour in balance of white wine and stir in Garni Bouquet, garlic, nutmeg, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce sauce by one half by open boiling.
- Mix mustard with the cream and pour into the sauce, stirring well. Add mushroom mixture and re-add the chicken portions, adjust seasonings. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, adding warm chicken stock as needed to prevent burning. Remove the cooked chicken pieces from the pot and arrange on a serving platter. Remove Garni Bouquet and let the sauce boil over high heat for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Pour sauce over chicken and serve with chopped parsley and chives.