Beef Stroganoff 101From stalwart 6 years ago
- 2-1/2 lbs. beef tenderloin or top sirloin grilling steak shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. / 2 mL salt shopping list
- *Instead of salt I use garlic powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. / 1 mL freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup / 125 mL all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup / 125 mL butter, divided shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. / 30 mL olive oil shopping list
- 2 onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 green pepper, chopped - my personal addition shopping list
- 8 oz. / 250 g mushrooms, halved (optional) shopping list
- 1 cup / 250 mL beef stock(low sodium) shopping list
- a good SPLASH of whiskey ;) shopping list
- 1-1/2 / 375 mL cups sour cream shopping list
- ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 pkg. of egg noodles, cooked shopping list
How to make it
- Cut beef into thin strips.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a bag, working in batches, shake beef strips in flour. Discard excess flour. Set beef aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) of butter over medium heat.
- Saute onions and green peppers, stirring until softened.
- If using mushrooms, add to the onions and green peppers.
- Transfer to large pot.
- In same skillet, melt some of the remaining butter and half of the oil over high heat.
- In small batches, brown beef, stirring constantly, adding more of the butter and oil between batches if necessary.
- Transfer beef to pot with onions.
- Pour stock and Whiskey into pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 8-10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Stir in sour cream and cook, stirring just until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over egg noodles.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
People Who Like This Dish 9
The Cookstalwart Tulsa, OK
The Rating4 people
As you say, many Stroganoff"s out there. This looks a good one. RJelgourmand in Apia loved it
Oh my this sounds mouth watering. You got my 5...no doubt. Thanks for posting cooking buddy.
Lorrainelbrooks26 in Cedar Knolls loved it
Love trying new recipes, I was making something this weekend with steak, maybe I'll try and let you know
Janetjlv1023 in Plymouth loved it