Creamy Mashed PotatoesFrom texasceleste 7 years ago
- 5 pounds white or Yukon gold (recommended) potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks shopping list
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. kosher salt shopping list
- 12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temp. shopping list
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 1 cup sour cream shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place the potatoes and 2 1/2 Tbsp. salt in a large pot. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, over medium heat, heat the butter and 1/2 cup of the heavy cream until the butter is melted.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Add the butter and cream mixture, sour cream, nutmeg, pepper, and remaining salt. I like to whip the potatoes with a handheld electric mixer, so there are no lumps, but you can also mash by hand. If a thinner consistency is desired, add the remaining cream, 1 Tbsp. at a time.
- Transfer the mashed potatoes into a heatproof serving dish.
- HINT: if more time is needed, you can cover the dish with foil and place it over a pot of simmering water, stirring occasionally, for up to 2 hours.
The Cooktexasceleste Austin, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!