Soft PretzelsFrom rodeogirl73 7 years ago
- Bread: shopping list
- 1 loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed shopping list
- flour, for dusting surface shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 1/2 cup coarse salt shopping list
- For cinnamon pretzels: shopping list
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 cup honey shopping list
- For cheese sauce: shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 3/4 pound pepper jack cheese, shredded, about 2 1/2 cups shopping list
How to make it
- Divide dough into 14 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece of dough into a 16-inch rope, and then form into a pretzel shape. Transfer dough to the refrigerator until ready to boil.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add pretzels, 3 at a time, and cook until pretzels rise to the surface, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Arrange pretzels 3 inches apart on buttered sheet pans. Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with coarse salt or with choice of toppings. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned.
- For cinnamon pretzels: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and cinnamon with 1 to 2 tablespoons water (enough water to make a glaze). Set aside. Roll out dough into ropes, form into pretzels, and poach as directed above. Just before baking, brush pretzels with honey. Remove pretzels from oven, and while still warm, brush with cinnamon-sugar glaze.
- For cheese sauce: In a medium sauce pot, melt butter and add flour to it. Cook flour and butter 1 to 2 minutes over moderate heat, then whisk in milk. When milk comes to a bubble, stir in cheese with a wooden spoon. Remove cheese sauce from the heat.
The Cookrodeogirl73 Tacoma, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!