Chocolate Chip EclairsFrom shandy 6 years ago
- PASTRY CREAM: shopping list
- 1/2 C. sugar shopping list
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 t. salt shopping list
- 2 c. half-and-half or light cream shopping list
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise or 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 4 beaten egg yolks shopping list
- (OPTION FOR chocolate PASTRY CREAM: add 2 ounces chopped semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate to the half-and-half mixture before cooking it.) shopping list
- CREAM puff pastry shopping list
- 1/2 c. butter shopping list
- 1 c. water shopping list
- 1/4 t. salt shopping list
- 1 c. all-purpose flour shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- (OPTION #1: chocolate CHIP puff pastry - 2 Tablespoons semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, or miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips) shopping list
- (OPTIONS#2: chocolate puff pastry - stir 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder AND 2 Tablespoons sugar together with the flour in above puff pastry recipe. Then add the flour mixture all at once to the boiling mixture, stirring vigorously. Continue as recipe states.) shopping list
- chocolate glaze (FOR 1 CUP) shopping list
- 4 ounces semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 c. whipping cream shopping list
- 2 t. light corn syrup shopping list
- (If you need more glaze, double recipe and following same cooking directions) shopping list
How to make it
- ***Chill a small mixing bowl and the beaters of an electric mixer in the refrigerator. I freeze my Kitchen Aide bowl and KA wire whip. Meanwhile, prepare the pastry cream.***
- DIRECTIONS FOR PASTRY CREAM:
- In a heavy saucepan stir together sugar, flour, and salt. Gradually stir in the half-and-half or light cream. Add vanilla bean, if using. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Gradually stir about half the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Then return all of the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove and discard vanilla bean or stir in liquid vanilla, if using. Cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Cool slightly. (Do not stir.)
- In the chilled bowl beat whipping cream with chilled beaters on low speed till soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the slightly cooled pastry cream, then cover and chill well. (I usually chill overnight)
- Grease a large baking sheet or use parchment paper or use a silicon mat. (I use a silicon mat - LOVE THEM!) Set baking sheet aside.
- DIRECTIONS FOR CREAM PUFF PASTRY:
- Place butter in a medium saucepan. Add water and salt. Bring mixture to a boiling, stirring till butter melts. Then add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir till mixture forms a ball that doesn't separate. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time to butter mixture, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition about 1 minute per egg - or until smooth.
- (OPTION FOR CHOCOLATE CHIP PUFF PASTRY DIRECTIONS: After adding all the eggs, stir in the chopped chocolate or miniature chocolate pieces (do not over stir or the chocolate will melt). )
- Spoon the dough into a decorating bag fitted with a large plain round tip (I use a #12 Wilton tip with a 1/4" opening. I like a medium sized eclair. Easier to handle.). Slowly pipe strips of dough 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet, making about 12 eclairs, each 3 to 4 - inches long, 1-inch wide, and about 1/2-inch high.
- Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Remove the eclairs and cool on a wire rack.
- DIRECTIONS FOR CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- Melt chocolate with butter in the microwave uncovered, on 100% power (high) for 1 1/2 minutes or till soft enough to stir smooth. If still lumpy, heat for another 30 seconds and re-stir. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan stir together cream and corn syrup. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat. Cook 2 minutes for 1 cup glaze and 3 minutes for 2 cups glaze. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate mixture. Cool to room temperature before using.
- Horizontally cut off the tops of the eclairs. Remove any soft dough from the insides. Spoon about 3 Tablespoons to 1/4 c. of the chilled pastry cream mixture into each eclair. Replace tops. Spoon the chocolate glaze over the top of eclairs, If desired, chill in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!