Black Velvet BeansFrom shandy 6 years ago
- 1/2 pound dried black beans, sorted to remove any small stones, and rinsed in water shopping list
- 1 small white onion, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup) shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed shopping list
- 1 large sprig fresh epazote or 1 1/2 t. dried (optional) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 t. dried shopping list
- 1 serrano chile, stem removed or 1/2 t. dried cayenne shopping list
- water to cover shopping list
- 1/2 t. salt to taste after cooking shopping list
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar shopping list
- sour cream to garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Place all ingredients except salt, vinegar and sour cream in a large saucepan. Cover the beans with cold water to 1 inch over the top. Discard any beans that float.
- Bring to a boil and immediately turn the heat down to a simmer. Place the lid on the pot so that it's slightly askew, allowing some steam to escape. Cook for 2-3 hours until the beans are tender. The time varies considerably depending on how dry or old the beans are. Add boiling water as necessary to keep the beans covered.
- Drain the beans, reserving a cup of the liquid bean juice. Pour the beans and liquid into the blender, add salt and balsamic vinegar and puree until smooth. Serve with a swirl of sour cream as a garnish.
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
The Rating1 people
- Not added to any groups yet!