Creme BruleeFrom quaypocooks 4 years ago
- 5 large egg yolks shopping list
- 1/3 cup powdered (icing) sugar shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/8 tsp vanillin (ahi grade vanillin is quite good, but if you can, use vanilla from the bean shopping list
- 2 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar such as Sugar in the Raw shopping list
- Special equipment: 6 (4-oz) flameproof ramekins shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 120°C.
- Whisk together yolks, granulated sugar, and salt and vanillin in a bowl until combined well. Add cream to egg mixture and whisking until combined. Pour the mixture through a sieve in to the ramekins. Arrange ramekins in a roasting pan and bake in a hot water bath in middle of oven until custards are just set, 1 hour on 120 degree C. Transfer custards with tongs to a rack to cool, then chill, uncovered, at least 4 hours.
- Now the fun part: Use a blowtorch to caramelize the sugar topping. This needs practise because it burns the sugar easily if you are not careful. Don't be afraid to get the flame close enough to do the job but keep it moving in a regular motion, until you have a golden brown top similar to the picture. Make a few of these for yourself and you family test subjects before counting on this to impress dinner guests. It won't take long and everyone loves this rich, creamy finish to a perfect dinner.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookquaypocooks Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
- Not added to any groups yet!