Chocolate Cake Without The BoxFrom krumkake 7 years ago
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 1¾ cups white sugar shopping list
- ½ cup Special dark cocoa, or ¾ cup regular cocoa shopping list
- ½ teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking soda shopping list
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 cup strong, hot coffee shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- Frosting: shopping list
- 4 to 6 tablespoons butter, melted shopping list
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar, depending on how much frosting you like on your cake! shopping list
- ¼ to ½ cup Special Dark or regular cocoa, depending on how chocolatey you like your frosting shopping list
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract shopping list
- enough half-and-half to make the frosting spreadable (about ¼ cup or so) - the half-and-half really makes this frosting creamy and rich shopping list
How to make it
- For the cake, stir together the first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg, oil, buttermilk; mix on medium speed until blended.
- Add hot coffee and vanilla; mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 9x11 pan.
- Bake at 350° for about 35 minutes, or until toothpick can be poked into center of cake and it comes out clean.
- Set cake pan on rack and allow it to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, melt butter in glass (microwaveable) mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Slowly begin mixing on low speed, adding half-and-half until frosting is right consistency. Spread over cooled cake. No need to refrigerate the leftovers - refrigeration tends to pull the moisture from baked goods.