Great Grandma Bailey’s Coffee CakeFrom grecogirl 6 years ago
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 cup sour milk-(add 1 Tablespoon of vinegar to 1 cup of milk and let sit 5 min.) shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon of ginger shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- ½ cup of butter softened shopping list
- flour (enough to make batter stiff) shopping list
- Topping: shopping list
- sugar and cinnamon shopping list
- Pot of hot coffee to pour over top shopping list
How to make it
- Grease a 9X13 baking pan. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.Make sour milk by adding 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar to milk and let rest 5 min. Stir butter and sugar together until creamy. Add in the egg and stir.
- Putt baking soda into the cup of milk to dissolve, then add the milk to the batter mixture. Add in the all the other ingredients to the batter and enough flour to make batter stiff.
- Spread batter evenly into the 9X13 pan with a spatula. Sprinkle generous with sugar and cinnamon, repeat three to four times. Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 10 min. Cut into square pieces and serve in bowl with coffee poured over the top. See Photo
The Cookgrecogirl WI
The Rating2 people
I enjoy it when older recipes are reposted. Thank you G.R!
I was also intrigued by the recipe because I enjoy old fashioned recipes and so made this cake this morning. I followed directions . The only change was to decrease the salt for my tast...more
I added my photo and sorry for double comments. Please remove one
just to let you know, I froze some leftover cake- when thawed- it tasted absolutely wonderful! This is really a versatile recipe indeed!
- Not added to any groups yet!