Vanilla Extract And Vanilla SugarFrom keni 6 years ago
How to make it
- Split beans down the entire length, but starting at about 1/2 inch in from the top. See Photo
- Drop beans into vodka bottle or pour vodka into glass jar with well fitting cork lid and add beans to it.(this is what I do :)
- Let rest in cool, dry place for at least 4 weeks, shaking lightly once weekly See Photo
- After about 6 months, you can start adding more beans and vodka to your bottle, and just keep it going, indefinitely. Just remember, to keep within FDA guidelines, you will need at least 6 beans for every 8oz of vodka, so add accordingly!
- Place sugar in glass jar with tight fitting lid. See Photo
- Split 1 bean and scrape entire contents out and add to sugar. See Photo
- Split other bean, as above with extract, and drop whole bean into sugar.
- Let rest at least a couple weeks in cabinet then it's ready to use! See Photo
- Great for coffee or tea or in oatmeal...and I LOVE it on broiled grapefruit for breakfast :)
- **please note that the FDA requires at least 6 beans for every 8oz of alcohol to create vanilla extract. Less can be used, but it will not, technically, fall under the extract label, rather just "flavored alcohol". Also, if you want double strength vanilla, use 12 beans for every cup but remember this when you use the end product cus it will be much stronger, obviously :)