Babgulyás (Hungarian Soup With Beans)From keni 5 years ago
- 1lb boneless pork loin, cubed in bite sized pieces shopping list
- 1lb good quality smoked Polish or Hungarian sausage, cut into bite sized pieces shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 4oz tomato sauce shopping list
- 12oz fresh mushrooms, thickly cut shopping list
- 2 cans white beans, undrained(cannellini, pinto, navy, etc) Can sub 3 cups dried and cooked, if desired shopping list
- about 4 cups chicken or pork stock shopping list
- 1-2T Hungarian Sweet paprika, divided shopping list
- 1-2T Hungarian hot paprika OR Spanish Smoked Paprika, divided* shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped shopping list
- fresh ground pepper shopping list
- *if using Hungarian Hot instead of Smoked, add a dash of liquid smoke to goulash, if desired. shopping list
How to make it
- Place first 7 ingredients and HALF of each of the paprikas in slow cooker.
- Cook on low about 6 hours.
- Remove lid, add remaining paprika and rest of ingredients and cook another 15 minutes or so without the lid.
- Serve over noodles or with bread.
- Please note: Apparently there is no real "right" or "wrong" regarding goulash. There are as many variations of this, regionally, as there are chilis here, in America. Feel free to add other veggies like root veggies, beef, or even make it meatless and adding another type of bean. The basics are a smokey flavor, and the emphasis on the wonderful flavor of their paprika! :)