Vegan PepperoniFrom nativeprincess 2 years ago
- 1/2 cup white kidney beans, rinsed & drained shopping list
- 1 cup cold water shopping list
- 2 tbsp steak sauce or BBQ sauce shopping list
- 2 tbsp tahini shopping list
- 1 tbsp sugar shopping list
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 tsp liquid smoke shopping list
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp onion powder shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten shopping list
- Ingredients to grind: shopping list
- 1 tsp anise seed , whole shopping list
- 1 tsp red peppercorns shopping list
- 1 tsp green peppercorns shopping list
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes shopping list
How to make it
- Start heating water in a steamer (If you don't have a steamer, you can bake @ 325 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes) so it will be boiling when your ready.
- Finely mash the beans with a fork. Add water, BBQ sauce, sugar, smoked paprika, tahini, salt, liquid smoke & cayenne. Mix well.
- Roughly grind anise seed, peppercorns & red pepper flakes with a mortor & pestle. Add to bean mixture... Add wheat gluten, mix well.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Shape each into a tube & wrap like a tootsie roll in heavy duty aluminum foil, making sure to wrap tightly by twisting the ends. Heavy duty foil is needed to keep the pepperoni from bursting out of the wrapping while cooking.
- Steam for 45 minutes. Cool & slice. You can use as is or fry them up a bit on each side to make a crispier pepperoni.
- Great addition to pizza!