Tennessee-style Slow Cooker Chipotle BbqFrom NCcook22 4 years ago
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced thinly shopping list
- 12 ounces chipotle barbecue sauce or your favorite bottled sauce shopping list
- 3/4 cup ketchup shopping list
- 3 ounces water or beef broth shopping list
- 3 ounces dark beer shopping list
- 2 ounces cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- 5-6 pound boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt) roast shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (more for sweeter sauce) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1-2 tablespoons liquid smoke shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the onion, barbecue sauce, ketchup, water (or broth), beer, liquid smoke, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large (6 quart) slow cooker. Add the pork and turn to coat with the ingredients.
- Cook, covered, for about 8 hours on low or until the pork is fork-tender and then remove from the cooker.
- Skim the fat from the sauce in the cooker and pour it into a large skillet or pot.
- Add the brown sugar and bring to a boil. Boil about 10 minutes until the sauce thickens to your liking.
- Pull the pork apart and serve in any type of bun with the sauce drizzled over the meat. In many parts of Tennessee, the sandwich is served with cole slaw in the bun as well.