Spanish Style Chicken And RiceFrom sosousme 3 years ago
- 4 chicken leg/thigh combos, skinned (well, you can leave the skin on if you want to, but I think it just gets flabby, so why add the fat and calories?) shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed between your fingers shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 cups chopped onion shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic (about 2 cloves) shopping list
- 1 cup medium or long-grain white rice shopping list
- 2 cups homemade or low-sodium chicken stock (use a chicken stock that just has chicken, not one with carrots, celery and all those savory seasonings) shopping list
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chopped roasted red peppers shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled shopping list
- 1 bay leaf, torn in half shopping list
- 1 cup frozen green peas (not thawed) shopping list
- 1/4 cup sliced cured green olives shopping list
How to make it
- Whether you are skinning the chicken or not, rinse it and pat it dry. Season with salt, pepper, thyme and oregano.
- Heat the oil and butter together in a 12 - 14 inch deep skillet; when hot, add the chicken, seasoned side down. Brown, turning once, on both side, about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken to a platter.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes; or until just getting browned. Add the rice and saute 2 - 3 minutes. Add the broth, roasted red peppers, saffron, bay leaf and a dash of salt and pepper; stir. Add back the chicken, nestling it into the rice; pour back any accumulated juices from the platter. Cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes; or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Take off the heat and pour the peas over the top, add the olives; cover and allow to stand 10 minutes more. See Photo
- Remove the chicken to a warmed serving plate. Stir the peas and olives into the rice and spoon onto the plate. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
- Per Serving: (based on skinless chicken) 536 Calories; 16g Fat (4g Sat, 6g Mono, 3g Poly); 49g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 169mg Cholesterol; 264mg Sodium.
- Variation: Want to make this into an easy Paella? Add some chopped Spanish Chorizo when you saute the rice; after the dish has cooked covered for 10 minutes, add some cleaned and deveined shrimp and cleaned mussels, cover and cook 10 minutes more then proceed with the peas and olives.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!