Collard Greens - Turnip Greens RecipeFrom rescue_ranger 5 years ago
- 2 1/2 lbs turnip, collard or mustard greens, washed and chopped into 1-in. pieces shopping list
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 2/3 cup chopped onions shopping list
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste (start with 1 tablespoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper) shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Fry the bacon in a pot large enough to cook the greens.
- 2. Add the greens along with onions.
- 3. Cook on low heat, stirring with wooden spoon, until greens are coated with bacon fat (about 2 minutes).
- Pour off excess fat.
- 4. Cover the greens with water and season with salt and pepper.
- 5. Bring to boil. Cover the pot, reduce heat, and simmer until tender (time will vary, about 1 hour).
- Stir occasionally and add water if they threaten to scorch. When done, increase heat to med-high, stir often. Boil off nearly all the cooking liquid.
- 6. Add vinegar. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve very hot.
- Serves 4
- 1. I like to add 1 tablespoon (+) sugar when greens come to a boil. Some people do not like the sweetness, some do.
- 2. Serve with Cilantro Lime Hot Sauce that each person can add to their own taste.
- 3. Add 1 Tablespoon chopped garlic r to the boiling greens for added flavor
- 4. Combine mustard, collard and turnip greens in the same pot.
The Cookrescue_ranger New Baltimore, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!