Spinach Stuffed Shells With Turkey MarinaraFrom DetroitTokyo 5 years ago
- 1 batch Marinara Sauce or a 28 oz. jar of your favorite tomato-based pasta sauce shopping list
- 8 oz. mushrooms, cut into chunks or slices (I used button) shopping list
- 1 tbsp butter shopping list
- sea salt & black pepper, freshly ground - to taste shopping list
- 1/2 lb ground turkey (I used dark meat) shopping list
- 1/2 box jumbo shells pasta shopping list
- 7 oz. ricotta cheese shopping list
- 1 cup Parmesan, grated - divided shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 1 tbsp lemon juice shopping list
- sea salt & black pepper, freshly grated - to taste shopping list
- crushed red pepper flakes - to taste shopping list
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped shopping list
- 3 cups baby spinach, rough chop & tough stems removed shopping list
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Italian 5-cheese Blend but mozzarella is fine too) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a skillet over medium and add 1/4 cup water. Add ground turkey and season with salt & pepper. Cook, stirring, until browned all over.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms. Season with salt & pepper. Cook, stirring, until tender & begin to release their own juices.
- Pour sauce into a medium-large sauce pan. Using a slotted spoon, add browned turkey and sauteed mushrooms. Bring to a boil, stir, reduce to a simmer. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop pasta and move around with tongs or a pasta spoon. Cook for 2 minutes under the time suggested on the box. Stir occasionally to be sure they don't stick to each other or the bottom. Drain & set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine Ricotta, 1/2 cup Parmesan, egg, lemon juice, seasonings, basil, and spinach. Mix well.
- In a large casserole or baking dish, spoon half of turkey marinara sauce into bottom. Fill each shell with a spoonful of Ricotta mixture, just enough to fill it but not so it's oozing out. Place into sauce covered casserole. Continue until all shells are filled and in the pan See Photo. Spoon remaining marinara over the shells evenly. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and top with shredded cheese and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan then return to oven for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted. If you'd like to have your cheese slightly browned, place under broiler for about 2 minutes. Let set for a few minutes before serving.
The CookDetroitTokyo Detroit, MI
- Not added to any groups yet!