Make It Yourself - Chinese Hot OilFrom keni 5 years ago
- **PLEASE WEAR GLOVES WHILE WORKING WITH HOT PEPPERS** shopping list
- 1 cup peanut oil shopping list
- 1-4T chili pepper flakes...either purchase them as flakes, or purchase them dried, then crush them yourself in the food processor, but remember, these will emit a LOT of heat and fumes that will often cause one to cough or similar. *I dry my own peppers, but only do this if you are SURE of your drying process. If you have any peppers that aren't dry enough, you are asking for spoilage. shopping list
- *optional: , dash of sesame oil, about 1/2t onion and/or garlic powder*don't use fresh garlic or onions, again, with the spoilage issue. Only use dried products. shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in heavy pan over medium heat.
- Heat until just past smoke point. Thermometer should read about 275.
- Place pepper flakes and onion or garlic powders, if using, in the bottom of a wide mouth jar, at least 1 1/2 cups capacity. Make sure the jar is at least room temperature, NOT cold.
- Let oil cool down to about 130 and carefully pour over the pepper flakes.
- DO NOT pour with your face right over the jar.
- Let cool then add the jar's lid.
- Invert the jar a few times when you think about it, to mix. You can use it as soon as it's cooled or it can be stored with your regular oils in a dark, cool cabinet for a couple weeks, OR, longer in the fridge. It's an oil, so if it smells rancid, do NOT use it. Carefully dispose of it.
- Also, you can strain the mixture, or not. I don't strain mine. Not that it makes it hotter, really, just cus I love the look of all those crushed up peppers in the bottom of the serving bowls. ;)