Grandma's Southern Pea SaladFrom chinablue 5 years ago
- 3 cups Fresh picked early spring peas (or 3 cups frozen sweet peas thawed quickly in warm water) DO NOT USE CANNED peas shopping list
- 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs (you can sub only the egg whites for low fat) shopping list
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion shopping list
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese diced to about the same size as the peas (using shredded cheese will make the cheese soggy if the salad is not eaten just after making it) shopping list
- 2 tblsps. mayo (you can sub light or fat free) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Boil eggs
- While eggs are boiling, thaw frozen peas in lukewarm water for about 2 mins. or until thawed. When using fresh peas there is no need to cook them. If you like you can parboil them for a minute or two in boiling water, but fresh picked are great as they are
- Drain peas well. (I pour them onto an absorbent towel for a moment after draining)
- Place peas in medium size bowl.
- Add diced onions and diced cheese
- Dice boiled eggs finely and add to peas, onions and cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss lightly.
- Fold in mayo gently so as not to squash the peas.
- Chill briefly and serve.
- This dish holds well for a day or two and can be made ahead. If I plan on using it later, I wait until time to use it before I stir in the cheese, because I do HATE soggy cheese!