Fried Milk (leche frita)From lightworker 4 years ago
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup cornstarch shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- 3 cups milk shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of shopping list
- 2 eggs, well beaten shopping list
- 3/4 cup progresso plain breadcrumbs shopping list
- vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Mix granulated sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg in 3-quart saucepan.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and lemon peel.
- Spread evenly in ungreased square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches.
- Refrigerate uncovered at least 3 hours until firm.
- Cut custard into 2-inch squares, using wet knife.
- Dip custard squares into eggs, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil (1 to 1/2 inches) to 360°F; fry 2 or 3 squares at a time in oil 1 to 2 minutes or until light brown; drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.