Thanksgiving Turkey Pot PieFrom doreenfish 2 years ago
- 3 c leftover turkey or chicken cut into cubes shopping list
- 2 c mixed veggies...what ever you want...i used peas, corn, and green beans shopping list
- 1/3 c butter shopping list
- 1/3 c flour shopping list
- 1 sm onion, chopped shopping list
- s& p to taste shopping list
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme shopping list
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth shopping list
- 3/4 c milk shopping list
- PIECRUST shopping list
- 2 c unbleached or white ap flour shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 c vegetable shortening...i used earth balance a non gmo organic canola / soy mix shortening but any kind will do shopping list
- 1 lg egg shopping list
- 2 Tbsp ice cold water shopping list
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted. Stir in flour and cook til bubbly and thickened. Add onion, salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.Cook another minute or so longer. Stir in turkey and vegetables.
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Prepare the pastry. Put one pie crust in a 9 inch pie pan and fill with mixture. Put remaining crust over top and pinch together edges. Pierce with sharp knife or fork for steam to vent See Photo. Bake 35 - 40 minutes until golden brown and bubbling up through slits in crust.
- Carrots and celery is awesome in here too...I was out of those 2 veggies so I used what I had.
- PIE CRUST
- Combine flour with salt Cut into flour and salt, the room temperature shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles large peas. Beat egg, water and vinegar together. Pour over flour mixture and stir with a fork until moistened.Divide dough in half. Flatten first half into a circle and roll out between 2 sheets of wax paper. *Doing the crust this way makes it tender as handling it too much will produce a tough crust See Photo. Remove the top sheet of wax paper and invert crust onto pie plate. Peel 2nd sheet of wax paper from the crust and fit crust into pan.Once your turkey mixture is in the pan invert crust over top of pie and seal edges.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookdoreenfish Thessalon, Canada
The Rating1 people
- Not added to any groups yet!