Smothered And Covered SteaksFrom keni 5 years ago
- 1/3 cup flour shopping list
- 1T fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 6 eye of round steaks, trimmed(about 4-5oz each, no need to pound them out) shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, diced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1lb fresh mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 3 carrots, sliced or about 1/2 cup baby carrots, sliced shopping list
- about 1/2lb fresh asparagus tips shopping list
- 2 cups beef stock shopping list
- 8oz spicy tomato sauce(I get mine in the Mexican section...if you don't want it spicy, just use regular tomato sauce! :) shopping list
- 2T honey shopping list
- 2T worcestershire sauce shopping list
- kosher or sea salt to taste shopping list
How to make it
- In pie pan or similar, combine the flour and the black pepper.
- Drizzle a heavy, large pan, cast iron, if possible,( you can do this step in 2 batches if you don't have a pan big enough to hold all 6) with olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Dredge the steaks in the flour mixture, lightly coating both sides, and place in the heated oil.
- Add garlic and onion in between the steaks.
- Cook about 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 3 or 4, until lightly browned.
- Continue with other batch, if needed.(if you have to do 2 batches, cook the onions and garlic during the second batch so they don't burn)
- Break up all the yummy bits on the bottom of the pan, then add all the steaks back to it.
- Add stock, tomato juice, mushrooms, carrots, honey and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a high simmer, then reduce temperature to maintain a medium simmer for 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally. You want the mixture to thicken about to a gravy consistency.
- Add asparagus tips and cook about 5 more minutes.
- Don't forget the mashed potatoes! ;-)