Roasted Potato Leek SoupFrom DetroitTokyo 2 years ago
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes (or variety of your choice), cut into 1/4 inch chunks (about 6 cups) shopping list
- 3-4 leeks, white and light green parts well cleaned & chopped shopping list
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp pepper shopping list
- 2 tsp dried thyme (feel free to sub fresh, adjust amount accordingly) shopping list
- 3 cups packed baby arugula shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock shopping list
- 1/2 - 3/4 cups heavy cream - optional shopping list
- 1 small baguette, sliced about 1 inch thick - optional shopping list
- 2 slices provolone cheese (or cheese of your choice) - optional shopping list
- 5-6 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled (I used apple wood smoked) - optional shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl and toss with olive oil to coat lightly. Season with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1 tsp thyme. Transfer to a roasting pan and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir well, scraping up any browned bits if needed.
- Place leeks in large bowl, toss with olive oil to coat lightly and season with remaining salt, pepper, and thyme. Add to roasting pan and toss to incorporate with potatoes. Place in oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and add arugula, tossing to incorporate. Roast for an additional 5 minutes then remove from oven. See Photo
- Transfer to a 5 quart stock pot. Add chicken stock. If you'd like to have a thicker more chowder-like texture, mash about half with potato masher. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check for seasoning and adjust if needed. If using, add cream in about last 5 minutes of cooking.
- For cheese toasts, place a piece of cheese on each slice of baguette. Broil for about 2 minutes, just until melted.
- To serve, either place 2 cheese toasts in bottom of bowl, spoon soup over, then top with bacon if using. May also serve toasts on top or on the side.
- *Note: Serves 5 about 1 1/2 cup entree portions or 8 1 cup appetizer portions.
The CookDetroitTokyo Detroit, MI
- Not added to any groups yet!