Slognese Sauce ( Slow Cooked Bolognese Style Sauce )From keni 4 years ago
- 2lbs finely ground or minced beef, venison, veal, lamb or any combo of the above* shopping list
- ~15oz crushed tomoatoes shopping list
- ~24oz tomato sauce shopping list
- 1 medium onion, grated(I left about 1/4 of the onion in larger pieces, but that's not needed) shopping list
- 1 large carrot, grated(I used a handful of baby carrots, as the only whole carrots I use at all are in a cooler in my barn for the horses ;-) shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- several dashes of hickory liquid smoke shopping list
- 1 cup dry wine(I used a Sauvignon Blanc) shopping list
- 1-1 1/2 cups half and half(can sub heavy cream, if desired) shopping list
- kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Add all ingredients, except for the half and half, to slow cooker.
- Stir well.
- Heat on low for about 3-4 hours, until meat is cooked through. It's okay to stir this every hour or so. If your pot runs really hot, stir even more often. Don't let a bunch of this stick to the sides.
- Remove lid and let cook another 1-2 hours, also stirring every 30 minutes or so to thicken nicely.
- Add half and half about 30 minutes before ready to serve, and let warm on warm or low setting, without lid. (If using cream, you might not have to let it cook at all, any more, as it might be thick enough :)
- taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve over pasta. I used whole grain penne and added just a touch of fresh grated Parmesan for contrast, more than flavor
- And, this screamed for garlic bread!
- *make sure your ground meat is finely ground. If it's got the wavy, longer texture of some market packaged meats, it's not fine enough. If tossing it in a grinder isn't an option, just use two large knives and hand mince it!