Egg Noodle Mac & CheeseFrom elgourmand 4 years ago
- • About 4 cups of Grandpa Jimmie’s egg noodles cut into 1 inch pieces. See Grandpa Jimmys egg noodles You can use packaged egg noodles if you must but for Seriously Deluxe Mac & cheese you need DIY, rich & chewy egg noodles. shopping list
- • 3 - 4 Tbs grated or very fine chopped onion, to taste. shopping list
- • 1 clove garlic, chopped fine. A tad more, if yo like garlic. shopping list
- • 2 cups aged cheddar cheese, grated shopping list
- • 2 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated shopping list
- • ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated fine. shopping list
- • 3 cups thin white sauce. See white sauce Thin Medium Thick. Or your own recipe. shopping list
- • 2 Tbs butter, melted, optional. shopping list
- • 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced, measure after slicing. I like mushrooms. I used cremini mushrooms as that’s what we grew this time but any, full flavord, type will do. shopping list
- • 1 1/2 cups of honey Cured ham, cut into small bits. shopping list
- • 1/2 cup ripe olives, chopped course, ± to taste. shopping list
- • About 3 or 4 kalamata olives, seeded & chopped fine. shopping list
- • ½ tsp sesame oil, optional. shopping list
- • About 2 tsp Spanish paprika. shopping list
- • 1 tsp sweet basil shopping list
- • salt & fresh ground pepper to taste. shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Make Grandpa Jimmie’s Egg Noodles or cook the store bought things according to package directions See Photo. Set aside.
- 2. Make the thin white sauce & set aside.
- 3. Prep the rest of the stuff, ie. Grate the cheeses, chop the olives, slice the fresh mushrooms, & like that.
- 4. Put the rack in the middle of the oven.
- 5. Pre-heat the oven to 375o F (190o C).
- 6. While the oven is heating up, combine everything but the parmesan cheese & the paprika in a large mixing bowl & gently fold until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- 7. Divide into two portions, placing each in a “large loaf” loaf pan. The baking times are set for these, if you use a different size pan or casserole adjust.
- 8. Sprinkle half the grated parmesan cheese over each and then a light sprinkle of the paprika. Not too much Paprika please.
- 9. Cover with foil and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, they should bubble a bit.
- 10. Uncover & bake for 15 – 20 more minutes. Top of the casserole should be golden brown. See Photo
- I’m up to my rear bumper in zucchinis from the garden so I used some of those, lightly sauteed in butter, as a side dish but a big tossed green salad would be a great addition to the meal.
The Cookelgourmand Apia, WS
- Not added to any groups yet!