Sweet Potato LatkeFrom sosousme 4 years ago
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and grated on a box grater shopping list
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic shopping list
- 1 large shallot, minced (or use a sweet or red onion) shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or chipotle pepper, something for a little smoke) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste) shopping list
- salt and Freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 large eggs, beaten shopping list
- olive oil, for frying ( you could use any vegetable oil, but I personally like the flavor of the olive oil) shopping list
- Simple Topping shopping list
- 1/4 cup sour cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt shopping list
- Minced fresh chives (or green onion tops) shopping list
- pinch salt shopping list
- dash pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place the grated potatoes, garlic and shallot in a large bowl. Add the baking powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Toss with your hands until well distributed. Add the flour and and eggs. Mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet until very hot (hot oil, less absorption into the food); when hot, add the latke by 1/3 cup full, flatten with a spatula. Allow to cook until brown (should take about 3 minutes per side, if it's cooking too fast, turn down the heat, too slow, turn it up); then flip and cook the other side. Work in batches, adding oil as needed to avoid overcrowding. Keep latke hot while making further batches by keeping on a cookie cooling rack set on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven.
- Serve hot with a dollop of simple topping, if desired. (To make the simple topping, combine everything together, preferably in a bowl :-) )
- Per Serving: (sans topping): 241 Calories; 10g Fat (2g Sat, 6g Mono, 1g Poly); 6g Protein; 33g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 106mg Cholesterol; 43g Sodium. Food Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fat.
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!