Fresh Lamb Gyros With Homemade Tzatziki SauceFrom rescue_ranger 5 years ago
- Ingredients for the Gyro meat: shopping list
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or shredded shopping list
- 2 pounds ground lamb shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground dried thyme shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried ground rosemary shopping list
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- Ingredients for the tzatziki Sauce: shopping list
- 16 ounces plain yogurt shopping list
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped shopping list
- Pinch kosher salt shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar shopping list
- 5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced shopping list
How to make it
- Directions for the Gyro's:
- Process the onion in a food processor for 10 to 15 seconds and turn out into the center of a kitchen towel. Gather up the ends of the towel and squeeze until almost all of the juice is removed. Discard juice.
- Return the onion to the food processor and add the lamb, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper and process until it is a fine paste, approximately 1 minute. Stop the processor as needed to scrape down sides of bowl. See Photo
- Form the meat mixture into a loaf shape and place on top of 2 overlapping pieces of plastic wrap that are at least 18 inches long See Photo. Roll the mixture in the plastic wrap tightly, making sure to remove any air pockets. Once the meat is completely rolled in the wrap, twist the ends of the plastic wrap until the surface of the wrap is tight, tie the ends with a bread twisty-tie or tape close with butcher tape. Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or better overnight, to allow the mixture to firm up and the seasonings to settle and meld into the mixture.
- Preheat the grill to high, place the meat onto the rotisserie skewer See Photo. Place a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil folded into a tray directly under the meat to catch any drippings See Photo. Cook on high for 20 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium and continue to cook for another 30 to 40 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from the heat and allow continuing to spin for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees See Photo. Slice and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese It might be hard to wait for dinner See Photo.
- I should also mention you can grill this with out using a spit or you can even bake it in the oven like a meatloaf I love the smokey roasted taste of the BBQ effect
- Directions for the Tzatziki Sauce
- Place the yogurt in a double fine cheese cloth suspended over a non-metallic bowl, allow to drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Place the chopped cucumber in a colander to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week. See Photo
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups
The Cookrescue_ranger New Baltimore, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!