Sweet Potato Wow Wow ~ Roasted Sweet Potato With Onion, Tomatoes, Chilies, Goat Cheese, Pine Nuts, Lime & CilantroFrom waterlily 2 years ago
- 1 sweet potato, unpeeled shopping list
- olive oil - enough to coat the sweet potato for roasting and to coat the skillet shopping list
- 1 chili - heat level of your choice, I used a mild anaheim shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion shopping list
- 1 modestly proportioned home-grown tomato, chopped shopping list
- ground cumin, to taste shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro shopping list
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese shopping list
- 1T pine nuts shopping list
- juice of 1/2 lime (depends on how big and/or juicy the lime is) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Scrub the sweet potato thoroughly and dry it.
- Coat the sweet potato lightly with olive oil and sprinkle it with coarse salt.
- Roast the sweet potato until fork-tender, 45 minutes - 1 hour
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions
- Seed and chop your chili and add to the onions
- Season the onions & chili with salt, pepper, and cumin to your taste. Go easy on the salt because the lime juice really brightens the flavors.
- Add the chopped tomato and let it just heat through.
- If you have time and enthusiasm, toast the pine nuts in a small, dry skillet. Watch carefully so you don't burn them!
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. (I actually roasted my sweet potato first and let it cool while I did everything else)
- Set the potato on a serving dish and cut it into nice big chunks.
- Roll the uncut lime around on your cutting board, to encourage it to release it's juices. Cut it in half and squeeze the juice from 1/2 the lime all over the sweet potato.
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 the cilantro
- Remove the onion-chili-tomato mix from the skillet with a slotted spoon (coz that nice fresh tomato will have released a lot of juice), and spread on top of the sweet potato.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro
- Top with goat cheese and pine nuts
- Taste and add a little squeeze of the 2nd half of the lime if needed.
- Enjoy immediately!
The Cookwaterlily Joplin, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!