Eggplant CaponataFrom luisascatering 1 year ago
- 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 japanese/italian, cut into 3/4 inch dice shopping list
- 1 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into 3/4 inch dice shopping list
- 1/2 cup raisins shopping list
- red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar, to taste shopping list
- honey and organic sugar, to taste shopping list
- fresh basil leaves, sliced into a chiffonade shopping list
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts shopping list
- Fleur de sel, Maldon salt, or other flaky sea salt shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and saute for 30 seconds. Add the eggplant, season with salt and pepper, and cook until caramelized and softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the raisins and tomatoes. Saute until the tomatoes are tender but have not lost their shape, and almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add pine nuts and season with vinegars and sweeteners.
- Stir in the basil and remove from the heat. Adjust seasoning, to taste.