French Apple CakeFrom thumper20 2 years ago
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups sugar shopping list
- 1/3 cup water shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 2 large granny smith apples (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled, cored, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3 large egg yolks shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 2 tablespoons calvados, applejack or other brandy shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla shopping list
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 2-inch-high sides. Coat pan with sugar; tap out excess.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in 3/4 cup sugar, water and cinnamon and bring to boil. Add apples and cook until apples are just tender, turning frequently, about 15 minutes.
- Remove apples, using slotted spoon, and arrange decoratively in bottom of pan.
- Continue boiling liquid in skillet until thick and syrupy, about 4 minutes. Pour over apples.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into small bowl. Whisk remaining 1 cup sugar, egg yolks, eggs, Calvados and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Gently stir in dry ingredients. Fold in 1/2 cup melted butter. Pour batter over apples in pan.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan 5 minutes. Run small sharp knife around side of pan to loosen cake. Turn cake out onto platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The Cookthumper20 Cloverdale, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!