Long N Low Tomato Basil SauceFrom jo_jo_ba 4 years ago
- 3 lbs tomatoes shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic shopping list
- 1 onion, diced shopping list
- 1 stalk celery, diced shopping list
- 1 large carrot (about 3.5 oz), diced shopping list
- 1 sweet banana pepper, diced shopping list
- 1 red shepherd pepper, diced shopping list
- 1/4 cup red wine or vegetable stock shopping list
- 1 cup tomato paste (I used garlic-paste.html">Roasted tomato garlic Paste) shopping list
- 1 tsp kosher salt shopping list
- 1 tbsp dried basil shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme shopping list
- 1 tsp fennel seed shopping list
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano shopping list
- 1 tbsp lemon juice shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the tomatoes and garlic in a pot and cook on low heat for 4 hours. (I did this step the day before and refrigerated it)
- Run the tomatoes through a food mill, discarding the seeds and skins.
- Puree the onion, celery, carrot, peppers and wine in a food processor or blender and add to the tomato puree in the pot.
- Bring to a simmer and stir in the tomato paste, salt and herbs.
- Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 6 hours.
- Stir in the lemon juice and can in a water bath 30 minutes.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
Good To Freeze130 members
Gluten Free No Wheat240 members
Original Recipes143 members
Fresh Food Cooking119 members
Eggless Cooking Egg Substitues50 members
No Sugar Low Sugar Cooking94 members
Dairy Free110 members
Family Favourites134 members
The Art Of Healthy Living58 members