Warm Beet SaladFrom sosousme 1 year ago
- 1 bunch of red beets with their tops (about 1/2 pound or 3 - 4 beets) shopping list
- 1 - 2 slices thick apple-wood smoked bacon, chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 - 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
- 2 ounces goat cheese crumbled, (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the tops from the beets. Wrap the beets in foil and place on a rimmed cookie sheet; place in oven and roast for 25 - 30 minutes, or until they are tender. Open package, allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, remove the skins by rubbing them with a paper towel (try to not get the juice on your fingers unless you like the color pink). Cut into halves and then into bite sized wedges, about 6 wedges per half.
- Meanwhile, remove the tough stems from the beet tops, wash the tops, dry well and cut into slices of about 1 inch. Cut the tender stems into pieces also about 1 inch.
- While the beets are cooling; cook the bacon in a skillet until just beginning to brown, but not crisp. Add the olive oil along with the tender stems and saute 2 to 3 minutes, then add the tops and saute until tender, about 7 - 10 minutes See Photo. Add the beet wedges, salt, pepper and the balsamic. Toss well to coat. Serve warm with goat cheese crumbled over, if desired.
- Per Serving: 83 Calories, 7g Fat (2g Sat, 4g Mono, 1g Poly); 3g Protein, 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 397mg Sodium.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!