Chicken Wild Rice CasseroleFrom DetroitTokyo 1 year ago
- 1/2 cup wild rice, cooked according to package instructions shopping list
- 1/2 cup basmati rice, cooked according to package instructions shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup) shopping list
- 2 celery stalks, diced (about 1 cup) shopping list
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced (about 2 cups) shopping list
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/2 head broccoli, cut into small florets shopping list
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small florets (I used orange cauliflower) shopping list
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast shopping list
- 3 tbsp butter shopping list
- 3/8 cup AP flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp each) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare 2 8x8 or 2 quart casserole dishes with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, cook stirring occasionally for 4 minutes. Add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally for 4 minutes. Add celery and cook, stirring occasionally for another 4 minutes. Finally, add garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Drop broccoli and cauliflower florets into boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes then remove and drain in a colander. Run cold water over top until cooled through or drop in an ice water bath.
- In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. Add chicken stock in 3 parts, whisking to incorporate. Cook until thickened somewhat. Add 1 1/2 cups cheese and season to taste. Add all vegetables, chicken, and both kinds of rice. Mix well to incorporate. Spoon into prepared baking dish and top with remaining shredded cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, until bubbly and cheese has melted.
The CookDetroitTokyo Detroit, MI
- Not added to any groups yet!