Savory Meatball SoupFrom NPMarie 2 years ago
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 15 oz can Mexican stewed tomatoes shopping list
- Pinch or more red pepper flakes (optional) shopping list
- 4 or so cups water shopping list
- 1 lb ground turkey (not breast) or your favorite ground meat shopping list
- 1/2 cup brown rice shopping list
- 1/2 to 3/4 fresh bread crumbs (enough to form meatball) shopping list
- 1/2 teas cumin shopping list
- 1 teas garlic powder shopping list
- 1 tsp onion powder shopping list
- A little salt & freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 2 -3 15 oz cans low sodium chicken broth (or whatever in needed) shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, sliced shopping list
- 2 carrots, sliced shopping list
- 3 potatoes, diced shopping list
- 9 oz bag spinach, rinsed shopping list
- cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot on medium heat add olive oil, chopped onion, minced garlic, saute for 5 minutes, add Mexican tomatoes and a pinch of red pepper flakes if using, cook for 10 minutes. Add 4 cups water (or more, enough to cover meatballs) , heat to boil.
- Meanwhile, to make the meatballs, in a large bowl, add the turkey, rice, bread crumbs, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and just a little salt & pepper, mix well. (If meatballs are not staying together, add some more fresh bread crumbs) I usually make them about an inch in diameter. Carefully add meatballs to boiling sauce, turn heat to low and simmer approximately 35-40 minutes.
- Add chicken broth (you can always add more broth if needed), heat to simmer, add all vegetables except cilantro, simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Top each bowl with a few cilantro leaves. Enjoy!