Zucchini KeftedesFrom marco099 1 year ago
- Ingredients shopping list
- • 700 gm. zucchini (about 2-3 large zucchini). You can also use summer squash as a substitute. shopping list
- • 1 Clean Kitchen Towel shopping list
- • 1/2 c. green onions, finely sliced green portions. I also use the green portions of Cebollitas. shopping list
- • 4 oz. of feta cheese, crumbled shopping list
- • 2 cloves of garlic, minced shopping list
- • 8-12 kalamata olives (optional) shopping list
- • 1/3 - 1/2 c. Fresh dill, minced, depending on desired taste shopping list
- • 1/4 c. fresh mint, minced. You can leave this out if you don’t have it, but it is a nice addition. shopping list
- • 1 c. panko bread Crumbs shopping list
- • lemon zest from 1 Lemon shopping list
- • lemon juice from half a Lemon shopping list
- • 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- • 1 tsp. smoked paprika shopping list
- • Fresh cracked black pepper shopping list
- • Sea or kosher salt shopping list
- • canola oil shopping list
- • 8 oz. Greek yogurt or sour cream shopping list
- • fresh basil, or any other complimentary herb you want to add to the yogurt or sour cream shopping list
How to make it
Directions to Prepare the Keftedes
- 1. Spread out the kitchen towel, and then grate the zucchini through the large holes on a box grater directly on the towel. Use the second largest holes on the grater.
- 2. Sprinkle some kosher or sea salt on to the grated zucchini and let the zucchini rest for 30-60 minutes.
- 3. While the zucchini is resting, in a large bowl, add the green onions, garlic, dill, mint, black pepper, paprika and some salt to taste and fold until well combined. Optionally, you can also add the Kalamata olives.
- 4. Once the zucchini has rested to drawn out its some of its water content, pick up the towel by its 4 corners to form a sack, as if you were making cheese, and then twist and squeeze the sack of zucchini over a sink to remove as much of the moisture as possible.
- 5. Place the zucchini in the bowl in which you already have the other ingredients.
- 6. Add the bread crumbs, feta cheese, lemon zest and juice and fold to combine.
- 7. Lastly, add the beaten egg and fold to incorporate well.
- 8. Using your hands, form into round patties about 2 inches (i.e., 5-6 cm.) in diameter and 1/2 inch (i.e., 1-1.5 cm) thick, place on a large dish or small cooking sheet and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to cook See Photo. TIP: Lightly wet your hands to make forming easier.
Directions to Cook the Keftedes
- 1. Add canola oil (or any neutral oil with a high smoking point) to a heavy bottom frying pan about 1/3 the depth of the thickness of the Keftedes and heat on a medium-high flame. Let the oil heat thoroughly.
- 2. Place the Keftedes gently into the pan and fry until medium-to-dark, golden brown (About 10 min. per side). Don’t be tempted to move them; let the Keftedes brown without moving them. TIP: If you place them clockwise in the pan starting at the 12 O-clock position, you can keep track of the order in which to flip them.
- 3. Gently turn over to fry the other sides, and placed done Keftedes on a paper towel.
- 4. While the Keftedes are resting, place the yogurt or sour cream in a small bowl and add your desired herb(s). Stir well with a wooden spoon. You will use this yogurt as a condiment. Garnish with fresh dill or in any way you wish. NOTE: I prefer mixing 1 part Greek yogurt and 1 part sour cream.
The Cookmarco099 Nowhere, Us
- Not added to any groups yet!