Creamy White Mexican Cheese SauceFrom twill10 3 years ago
- http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.com/white-cheese-dip.html shopping list
- Killer white cheese Dip shopping list
- Ingredients: shopping list
- •1/4 cup butter shopping list
- •1/4 cup white flour shopping list
- •2 cups whole milk shopping list
- •1 tsp. ground cumin shopping list
- •8 oz. canned chopped green chiles, like Chile Ortegas, drained shopping list
- •1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped shopping list
- •3 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- •2 tsp. olive oil shopping list
- •2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded, deveined, and finely chopped OR 1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles chopped shopping list
- •8 oz. monterey jack or asadero cheese, grated shopping list
- •salt to taste shopping list
- •fresh ground pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- First saute onion in olive oil for 5 to 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Add the garlic, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 5 min. Set aside.
- Have all your other ingredients ready to go. Grate that cheese, measure out that flour and butter.
- Chop up those jalapeno or chipotle chiles and measure out your milk.
- Having everything pre measured and ready to go into the recipe will make things much more organized and easier for you.
- The first thing we are going to do is make a roux.
- Grab your 2 quart sauce pan and melt the butter over very low heat. We don't want to see a lot of bubbles going on in melting the butter. Just a gentle melting.
- Once the butter is just melted, add the flour and stir with a whisk to blend it together.
- Turn the heat up just a little bit so that you can see the flour/butter mixture slightly bubbling. Stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Now add a little milk while continuing to stir with the whisk. Add the rest of the milk and turn the heat up to medium.
- Continue to whisk for about 5 to 10 minutes. You will notice the sauce thickening.
- Turn the heat down just a little and add the cumin, onion and garlic mixture, the green chiles, and the jalapeno/chipotle chiles. Stir until well mixed and hot.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir.
- Turn off the heat and add the grated cheese, one handful at a time.
- Stir each handful in with the whisk until melted. Keep adding handfuls and stirring until all the cheese is mixed in and creamy.
- Now you get to taste it. Does it need more salt? More heat? You can still stir it in at this time.
- Serve immediately.
- If you have one of those small crockpots or fondue pots, that would work well to keep this white cheese dip warm.
- Serve with tortilla chips. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.
- The Secret To Making It
- Smooth and Creamy
- The French get all the credit. Instead of just trying to melt the cheese directly which really doesn't work well, the French developed what is called a Bechamel sauce. This technique creates a white cheese dip that is creamy, smooth and stays soft.
- Just what I was looking for!
- Bechamel is one of 5 basic mother sauces originating of French cuisine. It works great for this creamy Mexican white cheese dip.
- And don't get scared off by the fancy name. A bechamel sauce is really easy to make.
- And for those with inquiring minds, the 4 other mother sauces are:
- •Veloute, is a light broth or blond sauce, sometimes with egg or cream added
- •Espagnole, is a brown sauce traditionally made with beef broth achieved
- by cooking the roux longer till it browns
- •Hollandaise, made with butter and eggs
- •Tomatoe, which is a red sauce
- Back to the Bechamel sauce. Not only is it easy, it will only take you a few minutes to make.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!