Bacon, Wild Mushroom, Tomato, Cheddar StrataFrom shandy 1 year ago
- 5 C. French bread - OR whatever hearty bread you have on had shopping list
- 2 c. grated cheese (any variety) I used Sharp Cheddar shopping list
- 1 Quart milk - I used 3 c. half-n-half and 1 c. 2% milk shopping list
- 10 eggs shopping list
- 1 t. dry mustard shopping list
- 1/2 t. salt shopping list
- Filling Ingredients: (This is where you can cut loose) shopping list
- I used: 8 oz. wild mushroom mix sauteed in 1 T. butter (Remember Julia Child's admonition: DON'T CROWD THE mushrooms) shopping list
- 2 c. Sauteed, diced onion with 2 garlic cloves diced shopping list
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced shopping list
- 10 strips bacon (I used turkey bacon) shopping list
How to make it
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish. Put the bread cubes in the dish and sprinkle them with the cheese, In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, and salt. Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Sprinkle the filling ingredients over the egg mixture and fold them in gently. Cover, and chill for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover the baking dish and bake for 60 minutes, until the mixture has puffed up slightly and is golden brown on top, and the strata doesn't shimmy with uncooked custard when you shake the pan. Tent the dish with foil if the top is browning too quickly. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve by the spoonful, using a large serving spoon.
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!